Wednesday, November 21, 2012

10 Oct 2012: Sayedee 12th defense witness

After informing the tribunal about the raid on their chambers, the defense lawyers called their 12th witness, Hafijul Haque (see 11th witness)
My name is Hafijul Haque, Age- 52 years. Address: Village- Khorki, Bamonpara Road, Police Station- Kotowali, District- Jessore. I’m an owner of grocery shop. On 1971 I was 11 years old and I was a student of class 5. My father Md. Shohidul Islam has bought the 184 number house of Jessore New Town from an allottee. Then we have started living at that house. On 1968 Late Hojrot Ali has bought the number- 185 house from an allottee which was located at the west side of our house. Then we the two families have started living as neighbors. From 1969 Mawlana Abul Khayer has started living at the number- 183 house of Principal Anwar on rental basis. Right from that same time Delwar Hossain Syedee has started living at the 182 number house of Principal Anwar on rental basis.

My father Md. Shohidul Islam was the Head Master of the Shekh Hati Primary School. Late Hojrot Ali Mia was the Head Clerk of the SP office. Mawlana Abul Khayer was an assistant teacher of my father’s school. And Delwar Hossain Syedee used to conduct religious gatherings over several areas of Jessore. Noteworthy is that as I was a little boy on that time so, I have heard about the matter of buying our and Mr. Hojrot Ali’s houses at 1966 from my father afterwards. I have seen all the relevant documents afterwards and holding the same.

On 25th March, 1971 fires and bombing were being conducted over Jessore from the Jessore Cantonment, which continues for the next two days. Then the people of the town started taking asylum at the villages. My father, Hojrot Ali, Abul Khayer and Delwar Hossain Syedee have all consulted altogether and decided to leave the place. On 4th April, 1971 we have gone towards Shekh Hati. We have stayed the night at the house of Late Joynul Abedin who was the President of the managing committee of my father’s school. Then on the next day we have left towards Mr. Abul Khayer’s uncle’s house at Dhan Kata Ghata. We have stayed there for 7 to 8 days. Then four of the elderly persons of several families have decided to leave the place again. Delwar Hossain Syedee has said that he will go towards the house of the Pir [Muslim Saint] of Mohiron of Bagharpara. My father and Hojrot Ali have decided to go towards India. Then we have left towards India, Delwar Hossain Syedee has left towards Mohiron and Mawlana Abul Khayer has stayed at the same house
Before the prosecution started its cross examination, the prosecutor Haider Ali complained that the defense was not discharging their duties since they are not giving us full particulars of their defense witnesses so it is really difficult for us to cross examine witnesses. Justice Jahangir Hossen replied that he should start the cross examination.


Haider Ali then started the cross examination.

Prosecutor: Are you staying at the same house?

Witness: No my father has sold the house in 1982.

Prosecutor: How many houses were possessed by Mr. Anwar?

Witness: He had 4 houses on that block.

Prosecutor: If the Government allots an individual with the possession of 4 houses?

Witness: I don’t know.

Prosecutor: Is the permission of Housing is essential to buy and sell the allotted houses?

Witness: Yes.

Prosecutor: Have you come with all the supporting documents relating to your statement?

Witness: Yes. I have come with the sell documents of my father but not with the documents of others. The documents also contain a Sell and Settlement deed where the name of the first party is Administrator Settlement and Housing Estate and the Second Party is Shekh Aktar Hossain. The deed has been registered on 31-8-1966. Here the name of my father has not been mentioned anywhere in the deeds.

Prosecutor: Who used to live at the number 179 house?

Witness: I don’t know.

Prosecutor: Who used to live at the number 180 house?

Witness: A Nayeeb. He was an employee of Tahsil Office. He used to work at Jhikorgacha as far as I know.

Prosecutor: Who used to live at number 181 house?

Witness: No one.

Prosecutor: Who used to live at number 186 house?

Witness: A bihari. I have heard that- he was working as a mechanic at Khulna Stand of Jessore.

Prosecutor: Where was the house of Delwar Hossain Syedee?

Witness: As far as I knew it was at Pirojpur.

Prosecutor: Have you ever attended any religious meeting with Delwar Hossain Syedee?

Witness: No.

Prosecutor: When you have come to know that- you have to give statement in this case?

Witness: Before 13 or 14 months Rafiq Bin Syedee- son of Delwar Hossain Syedee has requested me to do the same. After hearing that Mr Delwar Hossain Syedee has been accused of a case involving Crimes against Humanity I have come to give deposition in favor of him. Till 2000 there were no complaints against him. The present complaints are totally false.

Prosecutor: Whether you give deposition in any one’s case if someone goes and request for the same?

Witness: No. This is the first time I have come before any Court.

Prosecutor: Do you pay Income Tax?

Witness: I am a small business, my earning is not sufficient to pay it.

Prosecutor: You are not involved in any profession.

Witness: Not true.

Prosecutor: You are a supporter of Jamaat-e-Islami so you are giving false statements.

Witness: Not true.

Prosecutor: All the statements given by you are false.

Witness: Not true.

Prosecutor: The matter of Mr. Sayedee’s staying with your family is false.

Witness: Not true.

Prosecutor: This is the end my Cross Examination.
The defense lawyers then sought an adjournment to bring the safe house officers as witnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment